11 January 2011

Create Your Own Personal Style Guide


I'm sure it has something to do with the new year and the fact that I'm rearranging my work & living spaces, but I have been really trying to get in touch with my personal style, the things I love and the way I want to look and feel. I'm learning to look deeper now thanks to this lesson from Decor8 founder Holly Becker. Now I am more driven to know what it really is that I like about clothing and interiors that make me stop in my tracks and purr.

I've been scouring the internet photo sites for things that inspire me. Then I went to my bookcase and looked through all my style books. Then I found the best resources for a collection of clothing and accessories I love and what I want my dream home to look like. My tear sheet sketch books.


When I started looking through the pages my heart began to sing. I've been working on these books for at least five years now and looking back over the time that has passed it's very clear that in my head I have a style, even if I don't always represent it that well. The colors and patterns and shades were repeated again and again on the pages as I turned them. It's very clear that I have a look and feel that rings true to me. I am definitely going to go through these books again soon and look deeper and try to understand what I love and then act on making that more of a reality. I will be so happy to capture what I see in my book on my person.


My great task is to find better ways to represent that feeling on my person and in my home. Enjoy a few photos today from my personal fashion style guide. Some of these photos are from some years ago, but I think a classic style still stands out. Tomorrow I will share elements of my dream home.







 

I buy big sketchbooks from the sales racks at Borders. They are almost always available there. Then I use a glue stick to adhere clippings. It's a great way to get to know yourself better and inspire you when you need to find your style again and again over the years.

How do you keep your style sheets? How often do you look at them? What have they taught you about you?

all photos by me - unfortunately I don't have all the sources for the clippings themselves, but I can tell you I think they are most likely from one of the following: InStyle, Sundance Catalog, Lucky, Real Simple, Garnet Hill Catalog and Oprah Magazine.

3 comments:

Dave and Catherine said...

What a great idea! Unfortunately, much of my personal style seems limited by price at the moment, so I often wind up "settling" for less flattering, less-well-made pieces that need to be replaced all too soon anyway. But I think that having a concrete visual of what I love would really help me find cheaper versions to hold me over until we have an income!

Angela said...

Hi Kalani!! I wanted to let you know I gave you the stylish blogger award over at 365:) Click over to see it and the instructions to pass it along. I hope you are making progress on your list of 11 things for January :)

Michelle Donald (BYW) said...

I love your style kalani. I'd happily wear any of the things on your list especially those platforms!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...