11 May 2011

The Joy of a Warm Bath

image by Dominique Vorillion via Elle Decor

I have rediscovered the joy of a nice warm bath at the end of the day. I have several water wrinkled magazines and a book to prove it. I was so inspired by this passage I read in Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy by Sarah Ban Breathnach.

I believe in the rejuvenating power of hydrotherapy as a positive adjunct to psychotherapy....My philosophy in life is very simple: when in doubt, take a bath....To my mind, baths are as necessary for spiritual replenishment and centering as is prayer and meditation. In fact, a proper bath is one of the best ways of meditating, for once you are submerged in delicately scented warm water, where else would you want to be except in the present moment.

I've had the luxury of taking a bath every night for a few nights and it really is a lovely way to slow down, detach from the day and prepare both the body and mind for a restful night's sleep. It's interesting how I feel a little more cared for, more relaxed at bedtime.

I realized a few years ago that when I worked out first thing in the morning I always felt like I'd taken care of and given myself the first gift of the day. I never felt I'd been cheated for time and attention. I feel the same way about a bath at the end of the night.

Although I have a pretty standard, uninspiring apartment bathtub, it has become a little oasis. Each night I have added something new - essential oils, something to read, nice music (last night I found a great mix with Shawn Colvin station on Pandora) and a row of tea lights lit across the bedroom, visible from the tub. I also learned that it's easiest to read in the tub with a towel you can reach to dry your hands frequently.

The essential oils feed the senses and leave the skin feeling soft and gentle. Reading relaxes my mind. Music calms my soul. It's a beautiful way to end the day. How do you like your baths? What to you take along? How often do you indulge?

3 comments:

elisa said...

bathing is therapy for me too. when i was pregnant i had a nightly bath, it helped so much. i would love to return to that! i am looking for a beautiful board to lay across the top of our claw foot tub, to stand all of my writing & reading things.

here's what i love (not the chest infection! scroll down!!)
http://appleturnover.tv/homemade/2010/12/bath-salts.php

x

Jane said...

Hi Kalani I'm a fellow BYWer and the winner of your lovely handiwork on Margot Madison - lucky me! Thanks so much for donating the prize. I'm now following you, too, from faraway Hobart, Australia. J x

abeachcottage said...

It's so nice to have time to yourself and relax, bathing is one of the things that you can do to achieve relaxation :) Thanks for stopping by Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...