15 September 2011

Making A List - The Beauty Of A Plain Sheet of Paper



Ah, I think this week the past two months finally caught up with me. It's been one stressful crisis after another since the beginning of July. And while I think I've done darn well keeping my head above water, this week I'm not feeling so hot. Happily we've had some really happy things happen in the past two months as well, which ultimately require planning that has the tendency to cause a little stress too.

It's amazing how over the course of a few weeks it's possible to really lose track of your routine and feel pretty out of it. We still have a few weeks before we will really know how outside elements are going to affect our life schedule going forward, but until then, it's important to get a grip on what I can. Living with limbo is not working too well for me. It's funny but almost every day I still think about what I need to do for a big event that happened almost two weeks ago. It was such a big thing on my plate for so long and kept getting cancelled and pushed back. So I'm having a time of it just realizing that it's over and it went well.

I'm sure you can relate. For the past two days I've had a headache, body aches and have been wondering if I'm coming down with something. I'm not too worried. But I do know that I need to take some actions to make this not so great feeling go away, recharge my batteries and recover and recuperate a bit. My first action today was to make two lists. First a list of all the things that are causing me stress. Then I made a list, using the same categories, of things I can do to make things better. My list of stresses looked pretty normal for most people. My list of actions, amazingly simple if given some dedication.

One of the things I felt I needed to do was get into a very strong routine. That would include early morning exercise, morning study of inspiring things, regular healthy meals, time with friends and family, time outside in the sun and fresh air, a firm bedtime and setting aside a few minutes every day to clean up and organize things. This does not sound overwhelming. These are things I can do.

So today I am working off a new schedule and I hope it helps me get in the groove and feeling a little more normal. I know it usually takes a lot of stress to push me off kilter, but it doesn't take many small steps to get me back to feeling centered, gathered and on my game. Baby steps, baby steps. (I'm laughing and thinking about the movie What About Bob? suddenly).

I'd love to hear what you do when you find yourself in this place? What signs do you first notice when you know you need to course correct a bit? What are the first steps you take? Are there things you absolutely don't push yourself to do? Insights and inspirations much appreciated! Wishing you a good Thursday!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...