16 August 2012

A Good Time For Fall Holiday Decorations


School is kicking back in for a lot of families and it can be a big adjustment when things suddenly go quiet during the day. That makes this a great time to work on holiday decorations for Fall 2012. One of the best places to look for fall decorations and crafting supplies right now is the thrift stores.

Last week I went to the dollar store looking for small decorative pumpkins. They weren't on shelves yet but later that day when I dropped some things off at a local thrift shop I found four of the exact pumpkins I was looking for at 50 cents a piece, yes that's half the price of the dollar store rates. Two dollars in my pocket. Ching-ching.

I wanted to try creating some faux mercury glass pumpkins, a take off on these beautiful Antique Mercury Glass Pumpkins from Pottery Barn. After doing some searching around the web, I realized that as easy as it sounded this was a very popular project around the blog world. Right there that kind of bums me out. But good grief, it was all over Pinterest so what was I expecting? Haa-haa.

The one thing I learned about the faux mercury glass attempts is that they just don't seem to have the high end look of mercury glass no matter how hard they try with all sorts of techniques. So I am still experimenting and reading up on that. I am trying out some high gloss metallic paint but I'm not sure I'm sold on the results I've gotten. We'll have to see.

Since this is one on my A Pin Test projects I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. As for other great spots to find fall holiday decorating supplies, the dollar store as I mentioned is another one. Last year Dollar Tree had a variety of decorative (read plastic, haa) gourds that I used for decorating. Some of them are great starters for DIY projects too.

Check out JoAnn fabrics as well. I seem to remember that their fall decor was all on sale at a good discount earlier this week. Plus there are always their great coupons to use.

In the meantime, I am going to continue to experiment with a few decor projects and see what fun I can come up with for some simple fall decor for the mantle. Since my home is beach/Asian inspired, full scale Halloween doesn't really fit in, but it's always fun to see what I can tweak to give us a hint of a real fall since that's a season we see nothing of here in SoCal.

Are you already started on fall holiday projects or maybe costumes? How about Christmas projects? Anyone that on the ball already? I am going to have to be a little creative this year for the holidays and I am really determined not to buy stuff just so we all have more stuff. We have enough stuff, so I need to put some extra effort into the planning process.

Have a great day! Thanks for coming by.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...